The Penn State and CSL Behring partnership began in 2017 when CSL Behring gifted the university $4.92M to create the Center of Excellence in Industrial Biotechnology (CoEIB) and the CSL Behring Fermentation Facility.
The collaboration was designed to create an environment to provide educational, experiential and research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students so they are conversant with industrial-scale bioprocessing procedures in a comprehensive way.
CSL Behring having significant exposure to students and faculty across Penn State helps increase their company’s visibility in terms of recruiting. This allows them to fully benefit from a pipeline of well-trained biotechnology graduates.
These are exciting times in biotech, and Penn State’s Center of Excellence will help meet the growing need for world-class teaching and research center. Supporting Penn State’s biotech venture is a natural outgrowth of our promise and of our willingness to consistently foster innovation.—Paul Perrault, CSL Behring CEO and Managing Director
The facility was designed to highlight state-of-the-art equipment, from bench-top to pilot scape.
CSL Behring personnel also played an early hands-on role, guiding Penn State to identify the best equipment used today by biotechnology companies. They have since helped in the strategic planning of the CoEIB by being a part of the external advisory board and continue collaborating across Penn State's biotechnology community.
About CSL Behring
CSL Behring is a global biotechnology leader driven to save lives using the latest technologies. By offering the broadest range of quality plasma-derived and recombinant therapies in the industry, they can deliver life-saving medicines for patients with rare diseases or unmet needs.
They are perhaps best known for their reputation for always putting patients first across the world.
About Penn State
Penn State is a top-ranked research university and Pennsylvania's sole land-grant institution, founded with a mission of high-quality teaching, expert research and global service — a community more than 700,000 strong — driven to make a difference.
US research university
1. $4.92M gift to Penn State for industrial biotechnology education, research. (2017, September 19). Retrieved from https://www.huck.psu.edu/assets/uploads/documents/4.92M-gift-to-Penn-State-for-industrial-biotechnology-education-research-_-Penn-State-University.pdf.
2. Christopher Florentz . (2017, September 19). CSL Behring Will Help Transform Biotech Education and Research with $4.92 Million Gift to Penn State. CSL Behring. Retrieved from https://www.cslbehring.com/newsroom/2017/20170919-penn-state.
3. Patrick Mairs . (2018, June 11). Investing in Biotech's Next Generation. CSL Behring. Retrieved from https://www.cslbehring.com/vita/2018/csl-behring-talent-pipeline-penn-state-0611.
4. Patrick Mairs. (2019, October 18). Celebrating Partnership With Penn State. CSL Behring. Retrieved from https://www.cslbehring.com/vita/2019/csl-behring-named-penn-state-corporate-partner-of-the-year.
5. Vita Staff . (2021, April 21). Growing a Biotech Ecosystem at Penn State. CSL Behring. Retrieved from https://www.cslbehring.com/vita/2021/growing-a-biotech-ecosystem-at-penn-state.
6. Our company. CSL Behring. (n.d.). Retrieved January 4, 2022, from https://www.cslbehring.com/our...
7. Data on file at Penn State.