Faculty working in the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences must have a completed Lab and Research Safety Plan (LRSP).
All individuals working in labs must complete appropriate safety training, which must be documented as required in the Faculty Lab and Research Safety Plan.
Required Laboratory Safety Training
Federal Law (OSHA) prohibits individuals working in labs without proper Safety Training. Penn State Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) requires the Laboratory Safety Training (Initial) for any individual seeking access to a lab.
Access to working in a Penn State laboratory includes:
- Four (4) online prerequisite training and one (1) 30 minute Classroom Session provided by a Safety Officer (a certificate for each prerequisite training must be given to the Safety Officer prior to the Classroom Session)
- A signed agreement by the Safety Officer and the Participant will be put on record after the Classroom Session
EXTERNAL USERS: If you have a scheduling conflict or special needs, please speak with your Lab or Staff Contact.
Steps to Get Started with Initial Prerequisite Laboratory Safety Training
NOTE: When accessing training on the EHS website, it is recommended that you use Chrome or Internet Explorer (DO NOT USE Firefox).
- Visit www.ehs.psu.edu and click on the "Training" Quick Link Found on the EHS homepage
- Sign in using your PSU or FPS* Access ID (xyz123) and password
- Click on "Laboratory Safety and Laboratory Hazard Communication" on the Courses by Category list
- Click on "Laboratory Safety Training (Initial)" link
- These links to the Laboratory Safety Training (Initial) are found in the course description:
- Training modules can be completed all together or individually as your schedule permits
- Print a screenshot (Ctrl+PrtScn) of each of the four (4) completion certificates and bring them to the 30-minute classroom session or email them to EHStraining@psu.edu
To learn more about obtaining a FPS (Friends of Penn State) Access ID, please visit www.fps.psu.edu.
A PDF of this information can be downloaded here: Laboratory Safety Training (Initial) (.pdf)
A Word Doc of this information can be downloaded here: Laboratory Safety Training (Initial) (.docx)
All Training Courses can be found on the Penn State EHS Website: www.ehs.psu.edu