The Ecology Professional Meeting Travel Award encourages participation in and presentation of original research findings at scientific meetings by graduate students in the Intercollege Graduate Degree Program in Ecology.
A maximum of $200 per student helps defray travel costs to a national or international scientific meeting.
Eligible students may apply once per year. Preference will be given to eligible applicants who have not previously received a professional meeting travel award from Ecology program.
- Must be officially enrolled for credits as a M.S. or Ph.D. student in the Intercollege Graduate Degree Program in Ecology during either the semester in which the paper is presented or the semester immediately prior to the presentation.
- Priority will be given to those presenting an oral presentation rather than a poster presentation at a national or international meeting.
- Must be the senior author of the presentation.
- Must base the presentation on original ecological research conducted in partial fulfillment of the M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Ecology at Penn State.
Consideration for the Award
A call for applications will be issued early in the spring semester of each year. The application should consist of the following:
- A cover page with title of presentation, name of author(s), location and date of scientific meeting, statement on how award will be spent (e.g., lodging, vehicle rental), and signature of your Ecology research advisor endorsing your presentation. Also indicate if you have previously received travel award funding.
- An abstract page with objective, methodology, results, and conclusions limited to one page, single-spaced; should be an informative abstract. The abstracts will be reviewed and ranked by the Andersen Award committee. Applications submitted for, but not awarded the Andersen Travel Award, will be considered for a professional Meeting Travel Award.
- If given an award, the student should contact Paula Brown (email@example.com) in the Huck Office of Graduate Education to arrange acceptance of the travel award upon return from the meeting.