The Thermo LTQ Orbitrap Velos ETD with Dionex UltiMate 3000 nano-flow 2D LC system is a hybrid mass spectrometer that incorporates a linear ion trap and a high-resolution Orbitrap mass analyzer.
- The linear ion trap permits selection and fragmentation of precursor ions of interest, and the Orbitrap performs Fourier-transform high-resolution analyses of the precursor and fragment ions.
- Fragmentation capabilities include collisional ion activation (CID and HCD) and electron-based ion activation, electron-transfer dissociation (ETD).
- The HCD cell in the LTQ facilitates quantitation of isobarically-labeled peptides for differential protein expression analysis or other applications requiring tandem mass tags (e.g. TMT or iTRAQ).
- The ETD option is used for phosphopeptide analysis.
- Peptide fragments generated by ETD provide complementary information to the conventional CID-generated information which is critical in post-translational modification (PTM) analysis and de novo sequencing.
- The Dionex UltiMate 3000 nano-LC system can operate in both 1D and 2D LC mode, where the 2D LC mode facilitates separation of complex mixtures through two orthogonal separation approaches: reverse phase and strong cation exchange.