All students must take the following courses:
- MCIBS 503 (4) Critical Elements of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Biology
- MCIBS 590 (2) Colloquium
- BIO 893 (2) Experiential Teaching in Biology
- MCIBS 596 (1) Individual Studies (for research rotations)
- MCIBS 591 (2) Ethics, Rigor, Reproducibility, and Conduct of Research in the Life Sciences
- MCIBS 592 (2) Current Research Seminars
In addition to these courses, students will choose an adviser and emphasis area in their second semester, and take more specialized courses within their emphasis area.
All students will also be required to serve as a teaching assistant for one semester.