The Biotechnology Advisory Board (BAB) provides industry perspectives and knowledge to help ensure a high-quality, relevant graduate education in biotechnology. The board facilitates entrepreneurship and the development of promising intellectual property (IP) among students and faculty members to ultimately support the formation of successful independent biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
BAB members provide:
- Strategic guidance: Members help in the periodic assessment of the Master of Biotechnology Program (MBP) curriculum to ensure that it remains current, relevant, and responsive to the needs of the industry.
- Career advice for students: Members provide students with real-world perspectives on the dynamic state of the industry and how to adapt and succeed in industry.
- Industry connections: Members connect students to opportunities in industry, including internships, cooperative education programs, educational funding, career development opportunities, and/or full time employment. Members also participate in the Penn State MBP Group on LinkedIn, which facilitates networking among program alumni and current students.
- Program advocacy: Members promote the MBP to the industry and serve as opportunistic advocates to all relevant audiences with a focus on potential employers.
- Biotechnology expertise: Members serve as expert resources and speakers on cutting-edge research in industry and on business, intellectual property, regulatory, ethical, and legal issues in the biotechnology industry.
- Entrepreneur support: Members assist in assessing potential IP opportunities by participating in selected platform/project reviews and by providing relevant industry advice and guidance.