Getting Started

Initial Training

Lab Training

All students, faculty, and staff employed at the Huck Institutes must complete an initial laboratory safety training. Federal law prohibits personnel working in labs without proper safety training.

Compliance Training

New employees are given at least 30 days to complete Penn State’s mandatory compliance training as outlined on the HR website. Additional annual compliance training may be required each year.

FERPA Training

To assist University faculty and staff in understanding FERPA and its impact on their professional responsibilities, the Office of the University Registrar has developed an online tutorial, which can be found in the Learning Resource Network (LRN).


Forms regarding computer access, taxes, salary direct deposit, and Penn State ID cards were previously completed through individual departments. These forms are now completed during the onboarding process.


Your department will set the guidelines regarding the issuance of keys. You are solely responsible for your keys. There is a fee for all replacement keys. Please remember to keep your office locked at all times when you are away.

Huck Institutes Key & Card Swipe Access

As specified in Policy AD68, all keys and card access requests are the property of Penn State and may not be duplicated by any faculty, staff, student or non-employee. Each college handles key and card swipe access differently. Keys issued include those for office and lab doors and mailbox keys.

Card swipe access will only be provided to faculty, staff, or students who are working directly in the Huck Life Science Building office/labs or have a collaboration, including Loading Dock access to the Huck Life Science Building. Huck Life Science Building deliveries will push the call button located outside at the Loading Dock entrance and the staff in the 101 suite will confirm visual access via the camera system and release the door access for vendors.

Similarly, access to the Millennium Science Complex (MSC) will only be granted to those faculty, staff, or students who are working directly in MSC office/labs or have a collaboration.

For safety and security purposes, card swipe access will be reviewed periodically by the Huck Institutes Facilities Team, to ensure individuals with card access are removed if they are no longer employed or affiliated with the Huck Institutes.



For information on obtaining a Pennsylvania Driver’s License, please contact the PA Department of Transportation in Pleasant Gap, PA (814-355-6033). Licensing/Notary services are available at Tri-County Tag Service located at 1376 East College Avenue (814-237-2957).

Campus Parking

If you own a vehicle, you will need to obtain a parking permit to park on campus. Student purchase their parking permits directly from the Parking Office located at the Eisenhower Parking Garage. Faculty and staff obtain parking permits from the college/department where they are employed. You will need to have your driver’s license, license plate number, and make and model of the vehicle(s) you plan to drive on campus

Penn State Transportation Services

Information regarding bicycles, RIDEpass applications, Zagster Bike Share, Fleet rental vehices, Zimride, Enterprise CarShare, and CATABUS Loop and Link and Campus Shuttle services may be found on the Penn State Transportation Services website.


Maps that show distance and time for walking around campus have been included in your Welcome Packet. Visit for a complete listing of campus maps.


Penn State has several policies regarding domestic and international travel. Detailed information on making reservations, payment, travel policies, per diem and reimbursement rates can be found on the Travel website.

Those who travel on behalf of the University hold a position of trust and responsibility. To ensure compliance with Penn State and Federal travel regulations, air fare and other reimbursement limits, consult Policy TR02 Penn State Travel Policy.

International travel

In accordance with University Policy TR01 International Travel Requirements, it is mandatory that all faculty, staff and students who are traveling internationally submit their international travel information in advance through the online Travel Safety Network a minimum of 30 days prior to starting the international travel. Enrollment of all faculty, staff, and student travel in advance of the trip shall be mandatory as a predicate to the individual being reimbursed for their travel expenses. Upon completion of the travel, the traveler must provide the documentation/evidence that they completed the online Travel Safety Network form when submitting their ERS travel expense report for reimbursement.

The Penn State Purchasing Card can be used to book air fare/transportation and hotels and to prepay registration fees (receipts required for transportation, hotels and registration fees).

Travel reimbursement is submitted upon completion of the travel through the Employee Reimbursement System in coordination with submitting receipts to your home department financial assistant.

Please remember when making reservations that there is sometimes a charge for changing a reservation. If you are unsure about making travel arrangements, please feel free to let your departmental contact person know well in advance of your scheduled departure date, and they will be happy to assist you.

Visa Services

The International Scholars & Faculty Visa Services works with Penn State departments and prospective international employees in obtaining proper visa status and complying with laws regarding employment. Faculty will coordinate their visa needs with their home department.


All outgoing official U.S. Mail (first class or bulk) and inter-office campus mail at the University Park Campus is processed through Mailing Services. All services offered through Mailing Services are for official University material only and not for personal use. Each campus building has a designated time schedule when Mailing Services will pick up and drop off mail.

  • Inter-campus mail service is provided at no cost to all University departments.
  • Official University material that is sent through the U.S. Mail, UPS Services or special mail services (such as Certified Mail, International Mail) require a Penn State Metered Mail Card to accompany the mail piece to ensure proper handling. U.S. Mail and UPS charges are directly billed each month to the appropriate budget provided on the Metered Mail Card. Faculty and staff can generate a Metered Mail form by logging into the Mailing Services website to complete the online form, print and attach it to the piece of outgoing mail.
  • Hazardous materials for shipping may be necessary for some research laboratories and must comply with several regulations. To ensure all regulations for the shipping of hazardous materials are met, please consult refer to the Environmental Health and Safety website for more information. Dry ice for shipments can be purchased at the Creamery salesroom with a budget number.
  • Hershey Courier Service – Material may be transported between University Park and the Penn State Hershey Medical Center via a courier service. The courier service pick-up and drop off location is in the basement of the Millennium Science Complex Building.
  • For other official University postage or shipping questions, consult with Mailing Services at 865-7544.
  • Personal Mail – There is a post office on campus located beside the HUB-Robeson Center.

Data Security and Confidentiality

According to Policy AD95 Information Assurance and IT Security, all institutional data must be protected from unauthorized disclosure and must be protected with the same granularity of security control provided by the originating host system. This includes institutional data on mobile devices, including personal devices which may be used for business purposes. Certain private data, such as social security numbers, may not be retained on local or mobile devices unless an exception has been granted by the University Privacy Officer. Additionally, mobile devices must be properly disposed of when no longer being used. Text messages should never be used to send private University data, or protected personal information (PII), such as social security numbers, passwords or credit card numbers. Communications sent from University-owned devices or systems must never contain any offensive, abusive or inappropriate language, even if falling under the de minimus personal use provisions.

Notary Services

The HUB-Robeson Center and Student Legal Services offer limited free notary services to Penn State students, faculty, and students. Appointments are required.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Sometimes the hardest part of facing life’s challenges is knowing where to turn for help. This is what the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at Penn State is for. Please feel free to contact EAP when a life situation regarding work or your personal life affects your well-being. EAP can be reached by contacting 1-800-749-1735. All EAP inquiries are treated with the strictest of confidence. More information is available at the Penn State SupportLinc website.