International Scholars

The majority of postdoctoral scholars at the Huck Institutes come from outside the United States, bringing their international expertise to our interdisciplinary research.

Most international scholars arrive on either a J-1 Scholar visa or an F-1 Optional Practical Training visa. 

F-1 and J-1 students may not work off-campus without permission from the Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising (DISSA). Working without permission is a violation of status and a deportable offense. On-campus employment is permitted with certain restrictions.  Students must complete employment paperwork with DISSA in order to work on-campus. A Social Security number is required for anyone receiving payment. DISSA can assist you with this process.

DISSA offers workshops every semester which explain the different types of off-campus work permission available to F-1 and J-1 students.

More information is available from the International Students and Scholars page at the Penn State Global website.