The center has monthly faculty meetings, as well as mini-meetings organized around a theme open to everyone at Penn State.
Each month the CCD faculty meet and one member presents a project to the group for feedback. Often the project is one being written up for a grant.
Every semester the CCD organizes a mini-meeting around a theme. These mini-meetings are open to all of Penn State, and generally have short talks from students, post-docs and faculty at Penn State combined with outside keynote speakers.
Previous mini-meeting topics have included:
- The endoplasmic reticulum and secretory pathway
- Implementing CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing in systems including plants and flies
- Modern screening approaches in cells and animals
- Manipulating cells, and even whole animals, with light
- Motor proteins and microtubule dynamics from single molecules to whole animals
In conjunction with Zeiss, Olympus and Nikon, the CCD periodically hosts hands-on microscopy workshops.