Center for Cellular Dynamics
Our members participate in departmental graduate programs, as well as interdisciplinary graduate programs organized through the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences.
Overview of CCD activities
We use the Center to share ideas and expertise, to organize events that stimulate creative thinking, and to create a more collaborative and exciting research community.
Each month the CCD faculty meet and one member presents a project to the group for feedback. Often the project is one being written up for a grant.
Every semester the CCD organizes a mini-meeting around a theme. These mini-meetings are open to all of Penn State, and generally have short talks from students, post-docs and faculty at Penn State combined with outside keynote speakers.
Previous mini-meeting topics have included:
- The endoplasmic reticulum and secretory pathway
- Implementing CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing in systems including plants and flies
- Modern screening approaches in cells and animals
- Manipulating cells, and even whole animals, with light
- Motor proteins and microtubule dynamics from single molecules to whole animals
In conjunction with Zeiss, Olympus and Nikon, the CCD periodically hosts hands-on microscopy workshops.