The Huck Graduate Student Advisory Committee (HGSAC) was started in January 2015 and consists of graduate student representatives from each of the six graduate programs in the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences as well as the BMMB graduate program (Eberly College of Science). This committee is made up of a maximum of 15 students, including the Chair and two representatives from each program.
The mission of the Huck Graduate Student Advisory Committee (HGSAC) is to represent the graduate students of the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences by promoting their interests and advocating on important issues. Our visions are in line with those of the Huck Institutes as we aim to:
- Act as a voice of the graduate student body by facilitating communication among students, faculty, and administration
- Ensure that Huck students are prepared for the realities of the future of science by preparing them for careers both inside and outside of academia
- Provide resources to strengthen leadership, communication, and teamwork skills by organizing networking events and professional development activities to help students succeed in their careers
- Facilitate interaction and develop stronger links between individual Huck graduate programs, Huck programs and other departmental programs, and Huck students and other student organizations both on a professional and social level
- Assist graduate students financially by acting as a source of funding for Huck student groups