Graduate School FAQs

Support comes from different sources and topped up with grants or awards, including research and teaching assistantships —or fully supported through fellowships.The general rule is that the program and advisor will guarantee support for the duration of graduate training.

It depends on the program, some require more classes than others.

There are many opportunities new and more classical in the public and private sector that can be pursuit.

Most of the graduate programs have funding to support conference costs, you can also apply for travel grants, faculty can provide funding as well.

It depends on the expertise, some degree can get to a job faster than others

If the interest is to stay in academia, usually PhD students apply for a Post Doc position or research positions at different levels (technician, research associate, free lance research with contract, etc.) before looking applying for tenure or non-tenure positions. Master students usually apply to PhD or look for positions in labs (technician, research assistant, etc.).

Public as well as private sectors.

The core instrumentation facilities provide the majority of instrumentation necessary to do life science work. The Huck instrumentation facilities are a state of the art great source for faculty and students.

It depends on your project. If you do field work your study areas might not be around campus and you have to travel to these paces. If you do laboratory studies, the work can be done in your mentor lab unless you collaborate with other faculty and need to use other laboratories off-campus.

There are tons of opportunities for networking. For example: Life Science Symposium, seminars, lunches with seminar speakers, and Huck Leadership board.