As part of the Huck Career Exposure Seminar series, we will be running an Online Profiles Workshop in coordination with the Penn State Career Services Center to discuss how to set up online profiles, such as LinkedIn, and use them effectively for your career. This will include creating your profile, finding connections, and finding the right groups. In addition, we will have the opportunity to get a professional photo taken for your online profile.
This workshop will take place on Tuesday, December 16th from 11 AM - 12 PM. The survey that I sent out a few weeks ago about this event showed a lot of interest, so we will be holding this workshop in 100 Life Sciences Building (Berg Auditorium).
If you plan on getting a professional photo taken, please wear a business/business casual top.
Dr. Brian Wamhoff, Vice President of Research & Development and Co-founder, HemoShear, LLC.
- Talk entitled: "Hemoshear, LLC: Recreating Human Disease Biology for Discovery and Development of Safer and More Effective New Therapies."
- A seminar presented by video conference to BBH 116, Dec 11 at 4:00 pm
- Dr. Wamhoff will share his experience starting a successful biotech company
- Contact for the event: Donna Korzick, Chair Penn State Intercollege Graduate Degree Program in Physiology
- Hosted by the Physiology graduate program as part of the Physiology Seminars
Brown Bag Speaker Series: "Principles of Academic Writing"
Graduate Women in Science invite you to their Brown Bag Speaker Series on Thursday, November 20 from noon to 1:00 p.m. in 301D Life Sciences Building. Dr. Kristin M. Messuri, Graduate Writing Center coordinator, will present “Principles of Academic Writing” and discuss matters of genre, structure and style in the context of academic writing. The talk will also offer practical advice for establishing a writing schedule, forming writing groups, and overcoming writer’s block. You can bring your own lunch. Snacks, lemonade and coffee will be provided.
Online Profiles Workshop
As part of the Huck Career Exposure Seminar series, we will be running an Online Profiles Workshop in coordination with the Penn State Career Services Center to discuss how to set up online profiles such as LinkedIn and use them effectively for your career. This will include creating your profile, finding connections, and finding the right groups. In addition, we will have the opportunity available to get a professional photo taken for your online profile.
This workshop will take place on Tuesday, December 16th from 11 AM – 12 PM.
In order to gauge interest and determine what size room we should reserve, please follow this link to indicate your interest in attending: Interested in attending
Please complete this poll by Tuesday, November 18th at 5 PM.
Tips for international graduate students
- Session presented as part of the Fall Career Days workshop series sponsored by Career Services.
- Sept 10, 2014 from 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm, 103 Bank of America Career Services Center
Dr. Hozefa Bandukwala, Pfizer
- Dr Bandukwala is a principal scientist at Pfizer
- Sept 10, 2014 10-11 am in 102 Chemistry seminar: Epigenetic regulation of autoimmunity, part of the Bortree seminar series
- Sept 10, 2014 noon-1 pm in W306 MSC pizza lunch with students: to attend this you must RSVP to Kristin Cox, kmd112
Math and science career corner- bioprocess research and development
- Stop by and chat informally for 5-10 mins on Sept 11, 2014 between 10:00 and 11:30 in the Osmond main lobby with:
- Christopher Kistler, Associate Principal Scientist within the Bioprocess Development Area of the Merck Research Labs (Merck & Co., Inc.)
Regeneron pharmaceuticals information session
- Sept 17, 2014 from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm in 113 Thomas Building.
- To RSVP for this event please use this link
Intellectual property law- info session for grad students
- Learn about life as an IP lawyer from Penn State graduate Paul Tripodi, Partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in Los Angeles, CA
- Sept 26, 2014, 10:00 AM in 201 Millenium Science Complex
- Presentation followed by Q&A Session, breakfast provided
- Host: Wendy Buterbaugh, Director of Administration, Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences
Dr. Dion Zappe, Senior Clinical Research Scientist, Astra Zeneca / Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- Dr. Zappe will give 2 seminars at Penn State, and is a Penn State alum!
- October 2, 2014, 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm in 108 Wartik: "Managing and Organizing Data – Career Opportunities in Clinical Research, Drug Information, & Medical Affairs"
- October 3, 2014, 11:15 am -12:15 pm in 127 Noll: "Challenges of Clinical Research – Mechanism Based Research as an Integral Part of Overall Clinical Evidence"
- Host: Donna Korzick, Kinesiology department and Physiology Graduate Program, contact her for more information about the visit
Dr. David Szymkowski, Director Xencor, Inc.
- Lecture on Protein engineering to create superior antibody therapeutics, Oct 14, 4 pm in 100 Life Sciences (see Huck Distinguished Lecture series)
- Q&A Session (with lunch) for students, Oct 15, noon, 203 Millenium Science Complex, to attend this event please email Debbie Evock, dxe5
- Host: Pam Mitchell, Associate Director for graduate education, Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences
Dr Don Robertson, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- will give a seminar as part of the Bortree series
- October 15, 10:00 am-11:00 am 102 Chemistry
Career Exploration Workshop
- hosted by the graduate school, see the grad school's site for registration and more information
- October 18, 9:00- 12:45 in 101 Thomas
- the workshop has two major parts: "Developing your professional self" 9:30-11:00 and "The classroom of the future" 11:15-12:45