Genetics is a remarkable field in which classical concepts combine with cutting edge approaches to reveal the mysteries of biology. These exciting developments are reflected in the Intercollege Graduate Program in Genetics.
Four Genetics graduate students talk about the program and why they like it. Read the transcript.
- Provides training opportunities with more than 100 faculty members. Laboratory rotations allow incoming students to work with several faculty members to assess multiple opportunities for doctoral thesis research and explore new areas within the diverse field of Genetics.
- Trains graduates for rapidly expanding careers in Genetics: at academic institutions, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, private research institutes, and governmental research laboratories. Training in the Genetics Program encompasses the full spectrum from the molecular to the population level in a wide range of model systems.
- Supports cutting edge research with well-equipped laboratories and facilities. These include a suite of specialized instrumentation and core research facilities providing excellent support for Genetics research. In addition, highly sophisticated hardware and software resources are available for research involving bioinformatics and computational methods.
The Genetics program is highly focused on student development through:
- Exceptional research and training opportunities
- A curriculum designed to impart depth and breadth in Genetics
- A variety of professional development activities, including a student-organized annual research symposium featuring guest lectures by leading geneticists from around the world as well as presentation of research conducted by our own students and faculty.
These efforts support the primary goal of our program: to provide bright and talented young scholars with the opportunity and freedom to realize their great potential in the field of Genetics.